Who made my clothes? Yogis did!

Fashion Revolution is a global movement calling for greater transparency, sustainability and ethics in the fashion industry. The purpose is to unite the fashion industry and ignite a revolution to radically change the way our clothes are sourced, produced and purchased, so that what the world wears has been made in a safe, clean and fair way. Fashion Revolution Week is dedicated to raising awareness, and takes place 24th-30th April. 

I feel a real kinship with the cause because yogi designers are already leading this Fashion Revolution from the front. As committed yogis it’s only natural that they put sustainability into everything they do. They make yoga leggings out of recycled plastic. They work with artisan villages in Bali. They create gift bags out of almond shells. They plant seeds in their hangtags.

Meet the yogi designers leading The Fashion Revolution

#WhoMadeMyClothes + #MadeByYogis


by LUCY EDGE

Annika Wetterlin Mattson – PawPaw Yoga Wear – ‘My two dogs are silent colleagues’ 

Innocent

Annika wasn’t satisfied with making it easy for yogis everywhere to feel good and look good – she also wanted to do good. Her clothes are made in India and everyone who sews her designs receives fair wages. Being both people and planet-friendly, Annika chose fabric made from 95% organic cotton certified by GOTS (the other 5% is lycra for fit and comfort) and she is a participant in the Zeromission programme – compensating for carbon emissions with forest projects.

Her two dogs are ‘silent colleagues’, reminding her of the importance of an afternoon nap, and that the good things in life should be appreciated.

 

Shop PawPaw

Natalia Zawada – Starseeds – ‘Yoga is the best time-stopper, after kissing.’

Innocent

Usually to be found obsessing over the cut of her yoga leggings, Natalia puts the same care into sustainability – preserving the beauty of her natural colour palette with slow-dying techniques, using bamboo to create softness, ramie and hemp for durability, and a super-cool yarn impregnated with waste coffee grounds to absorb sweat. Her gift bags are blended with almond shells, her hangtags made of plantable seeded paper, her clothes displayed on recycled copper piping.

Shop Starseeds

Sylvia Daun – Kismet Yogastyle – ‘I get out of bed and roll out my mat’

Innocent

Sylvia’s belief, that dressing fashionably and responsibly goes hand in hand, means that all Kismet Yogastyle clothing is made out of recycled natural fibres, and she works only with small, family-owned businesses with fair working conditions and fair wages.

Shop Kismet

Marlene Smits – Urban Goddess – ‘The rock chick of yoga wear’

Innocent

Most at home in her own label’s yoga leggings, striding the streets of Amsterdam, or teaching for Eckhart Yoga, Marlene takes quiet pride in knowing that all her yoga wear is made from certified organic cotton, respecting both humans and the environment.

Shop Urban Goddess

Inkeri Glover – Arctic Flamingo – ‘This is what I´m good at, and it’s fun!’

Innocent

Inkeri Glover grabs precious design and sewing time whenever her two young children sleep. Mindful of the world’s vulnerability to climate change, she prints environmentally friendly ink onto regenerated nylon, and her hangtags are made of recycled material like fishing nets and old carpets.

Shop Arctic Flamingo

Shop the collections

#WhoMadeByClothes x #MadeByYogis