Cocoa-Mint Energy Balls
Perfect as a pre or post exercise snack; these little refreshing bites are totally healthy, full of natural ingredients, and easy to take with you throughout the week for those necessary pick-me-up moments!
by EMMA NEWLYN
As a qualified aromatherapist, I’ve been using essential oils for a long time in homemade skincare products, massage oils, and cleaning products, but not always in cooking. Certain essential oils are low-grade and not suitable for consumption, but when you get your hands on an oil that is edible, it’s definitely worth making the most of it.
When it comes to essential oils, it’s important to buy the best – afterall, what we put on our skin, goes in, and if you’re choosing to cook with the oils, look for ones that are of edible quality. I’ve previously used cardamom essential oil in a delicious Summer cold brew iced latte recipe too!
This recipe used peppermint essential oil, and as peppermint is typically cooling and enhances digestion, it’s one of the best oils to use during the Summer. Interestingly, according to a study from Wheeling Jesuit University; peppermint-infused mouth guards gave US college rugby players more motivation, energy, speed and confidence. Some athletes use peppermint inhalers, whilst Reebok have even designed a sports bra that smells of peppermint!
So, if you’re planning a full-on day, need some motivation to workout, or need to refuel whilst you’re out and about, try this simple recipe and take these snacks with you this week!
(makes 25-30 energy balls)
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup dates (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup honey / agave / brown rice syrup / your choice of natural sweetener
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Roughly 6-8 drops of edible peppermint essential oil
- Soak the dates (stones removed) in a bowl with warm water for 10 minutes
- Add the oats and cocoa powder to a blender or food processor and whizz until the oats become almost flour-like
- Add 4 drops of peppermint oil
- Add the dates and whizz again
- Add the honey and coconut oil and whizz again
- Add the last 2-4 drops of peppermint oil and whizz until everything is well combined and starts to stick together
- Scoop out a small amount of the mixture at a time and roll into bite size balls
- Store in the fridge for about 20 minutes to set and then pop a few into a reusable box to take with you this week!
About the author
Emma Newlyn is a 500hour RYT, Musician, Writer, Blogger, Published Author & Therapist.
She is also a Brighton Yoga Foundation Trustee and Manager.
Visit her website here: